The Top 11 Shopify GDPR Apps
Last modified: July 31, 2020
- Free GDPR + EU Cookie Bar
- Free GDPR + Cookie Management
- Easy GDPR + Cookie Bar
- GDPR Cookie Bar +ePrivacy Page
- EU GDPR Cookies Notification
- GDPR Cookie Compiler
- GDPR Cookie Notice Bar
- GDPR Cookie Optimizer
- GDPR Data Compliance Banner EU
- EU Cookie Bar ‑ Cookie GDPR - ** Currently not Published on Shopify
When GDPR came in to effect, many businesses were unprepared. Part of the problem was that many organizations didn’t understand the legislation, who it was meant for and what was required to be compliant. Even now, there are numerous brands who aren’t compliant with GDPR laws.
The biggest issue is that although GDPR laws are created by the European Union, they apply to any business that gains traffic from the population inside the EU. Therefore, even if you sell products to just the US, Canada or another country outside of the EU, if people visit you from within the trading bloc the law is still applicable.
What Are You Looking For In Shopify GDPR Apps?
One of the best things about Shopify GDPR apps is that they don’t need to do much. Therefore, the apps are actually lightweight but perform vital actions that make you compliant with EU laws. This does give several benefits. To be compliant, you won’t impact speed. At the same time, many of the Shopify GDPR apps are free.
Finally, you can easily add them to your store and then customize them to your specific needs. So, which are the best 11 apps for your Shopify site?
Filter between free and paid
Free GDPR + EU Cookie Bar
This free Shopify app is great for those looking to comply with the EU visitor laws. The app is simple, a banner, asking for permission to collect information via cookies is presented to the visitor. Once accepted, the banner disappears. It is that simple in how it works, but this app has a lot more functionality than is on the surface.
Free GDPR + EU Cookie Bar Highlights:
- Works with all Shopify themes and lots of plugins.
- Comply with EU law with a free app.
- Provide visitors with details of your terms and conditions.
- Easy-to-use app.
Free GDPR + Cookie Management
This is a more complex app than some of the others, which makes it a great option for those who want more control over their GDPR requirements. The app can track policy acceptances, therefore the notification disappears from their screens and won’t appear if the customer returns at a later time. You can also see any and all GDPR requests.
You can also edit customer account information. Therefore, if the customer has had a change of heart and doesn’t want data stored by you, then you can make that change for them.
The app itself has lots of features that make it very effective. It is responsive, so will look good on all devices and screen resolutions. You can also show the bar to all visitors to your store or only those that originate inside the EU. You can also translate all GDPR pages into English, German, French, Italian, Finnish, Bulgarian, Slovenian or Romanian.
Free GDPR + Cookie Management Highlights:
- A highly functional app that has more control over the data collected.
- Can see data deletion requests and act upon them easily.
- Can block Google Analytics.
- Can block Facebook pixels.
Easy GDPR + Cookie Bar
Another free app that can make your store compliant with EU GDPR laws. Once installed you will be offered lots of great features including the cookie bar being translated into 24 EU languages and you can limit the cookie popup to only those in the EU, allowing those outside of the EU a better, more relevant shopping experience.
Users can also modify and delete data themselves. Therefore, they can be in control of what data you store, a much more effective way for you to offer services to the EU population. To do this, they will need to use the innovative private data access page.
Easy GDPR + Cookie Bar Highlights:
- An easy-to-use and install app that will allow you to comply with EU laws.
- Compatible across all devices and with both registered and guest visitors.
- No need to use a developer, it is easy to customize the private data pages yourself.
- Technical support available should you ever need any technical help.
GDPR Cookie Bar +ePrivacy Page
Ensure that you’re compliant with GDPR laws with this free app. The cookie consent banner can be added with just one-click and can be displayed to all visitors or just those who are in the EU. And you can be sure that whoever is visiting can read the message with all 24 official EU languages supported.
To ensure you’re happy with the design, there is a preview banner you can use before saving any settings in the banner. Customization can be with the text, alignment, font and size. Therefore, you can ensure that your GDPR notifications match your branding and necessary wording. You can also customize the look of the banner to better match your branding.
When policies change, and they should on a regular basis in order to better reflect your latest terms and conditions, you can reset the banner and re-display to those who have already given their consent. This prevents you from being sued for customers not realizing that there have been new terms and conditions.
GDPR Cookie Bar +ePrivacy Page Highlights:
- A free app that can help you be compliant with EU laws.
- Customize the banner to get it to match your current branding.
- Monitor and manage settings from a single page within your Shopify dashboard.
- Select the position of the banner.
EU GDPR Cookies Notification
This is a simple to use and maintain Shopify GDPR app that is as simple as install, customize and enjoy. Once installed, you can customize several settings including the layout and the style. From there, you can notify customers that you are using cookies on your store and get their permission to keep data.
You can also set whether your notification is displayed to all visitors or those who are just within the EU. The app is fully mobile friendly, so will display on any device. And if you run into any trouble, don’t worry there is free support that offers 24 hour problem solving, on working days.
EU GDPR Cookies Notification Highlights:
- Customize the look and position of your banner.
- Display to customers who are across the world or just within the EU.
- Free support available.
- Free app that helps you to comply with EU law.
GDPR Cookie Compiler
GDPR Cookie complier is another great free app that will allow you to notify your customers that you collect data. You can then ask for their permission to store this data. The easy installation requires no technical knowledge and there is no need to edit your theme or site.
There is a customizable banner that can match your branding, so the experience for the audience is seamless. If your customers want to hide the banner, it is done with ease. As with many other apps, this can support any language within the EU and you can hide it automatically to those not located in the trading bloc.
GDPR Cookie Compiler Highlights:
- A free-forever app, that can be customized so it fits within your branding.
- Hide the banner from those not in the EU.
- Excellent support to help you should you need it.
- Optimized CSS so it is responsive to any screen resolution.
GDPR Cookie Notice Bar
There is a popup behavior control settings panel, that allows you to determine certain settings of the app, perfect for tailoring the behaviors of the app and ensuring user experiences aren’t hindered.
For customization, you can match the branding of any notification to that of your website. You can change the fonts, colors and more to ensure that all blends seamlessly together. You can also control the position of the notification, ensuring that customers don’t miss it but also that it doesn’t cover up important information.
GDPR Cookie Notice Bar Highlights:
- Position the bar/popup to ensure vital data isn’t hidden.
- Show the notification to those who are in the EU only.
- Adjust the look and style of the banner to ensure it matches your website’s branding.
- Responsive, so will look good on any device or screen resolution.
The app collects all consents and stores them in an encrypted file so that you can prove to regulators that you are complying. Plus you can export user consent history as a CSV in case you are subject to an audit. To help with cookie management, this app also deletes 12 unnecessary Shopify cookies, making your site cleaner and faster.
Finally, you can block Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel and Shopify Analytics until consent is given. This is an important part of the GDPR and is the most likely aspect to get you into trouble.
For the banner itself, there are customization options. These include where the banner is placed, the message and the style of the banner. This allows you to blend it seamlessly into your website’s design, to ensure a smooth experience for your audience.
- Show only to those countries within the EU.
- Can support all the languages of the EU.
- Deletes unnecessary cookies from your site.
GDPR Cookie Optimizer
Another premium GDPR app, this one allows you to be fully compliant with GDPR laws. According to the GDPR legislation, cookies should only be loaded after the user opts in. The website owners should also store all consents. And this is exactly what this app provides.
For the banner to notify guests to your site, there is a customization option that allows you to select the position, text, language and the style. A great feature that will allow your banner to blend into your website, instead of stick out like a sore thumb.
However, to ensure that you aren’t forcing US or other non-EU audiences to opt-in, the application differentiates between the two groups. Your banner will only be shown to those living inside the EU.
Consent for tracking will be logged. Each consent will be given a unique token (stored on client and server side) and a time stamp. Therefore, you’ve got records of all consents given. At the same time, there is an option to search in the admin panel to prove consent. You can also backup all records through a download of the log.
GDPR Cookie Optimizer Highlights:
- Keeps records of consent for your records.
- Can download records to show to auditors.
- Don’t show banner to non-EU audiences.
- No tracking will start until after consent has been given.
GDPR Data Compliance Banner EU
This app displays a simple banner that will ask for consent to track user behaviour. The developers have created an app that supports numerous languages for GDPR compliance including English, French and German. If a language isn’t supported, then you can contact their support team who might add it.
The app will display all cookie acceptance in the admin panel, so you can see who is accepting and who is not accepting cookies on your site.
However, if you’re looking for a complete package for GDPR compliance, you might need to look elsewhere. This app is only a part solution.
GDPR Data Compliance Banner EU Highlights:
- A simple-to-use GDPR app that will tell customers that you use tracking cookies on your site.
- Requests their consent to track their actions on your website.
- Not a complete package. Other apps/actions might be necessary.
- Supports numerous languages.
EU Cookie Bar ‑ Cookie GDPR - ** Currently not Published on Shopify
The ease of which you can use this app is great. Even those without any technical skill should be able to install it within once click, customize it so it matches your current branding and then activate it.
EU Cookie Bar ‑ Cookie GDPR Highlights:
- A free app that helps you stay compliant with EU laws.
- Banner can be customized to match your store’s branding.
- One click install.
- Optimized for mobile displays.
Final Word: The Top 10 Shopify GDPR Apps
Whether or not you are primarily targeting shoppers in the EU, you should still be prepared to comply with regulations. Someone in the EU needs to give consent to have tracking cookies, this includes items like Google Analytics, Facebook pixels and more.
All of the Shopify GDPR apps above will be able to allow you to at least partially cover your responsibilities of GDPR. This should allow you to receive customers from the EU, though you might need to take additional steps to ensure that you are fully compliant. The problem is, which of the apps will you choose?