The Best 14 Shopify Chargeback Prevention Apps – 
Last modified: January 31, 2023
Or go to our Shopify Theme Detector directly
Chargebacks can be a painful cost when you’re running a business. About six in every 1000 transactions often ends in a chargeback. And the biggest pain point for you is when there are fraudulent orders which are costing you money. That is why you need to employ one of these great Shopify Chargeback prevention apps on your store.
These can identify when you don’t have a real customer on your website or making an order. Reportedly, about 40% of all online traffic is from bots. Some of these bots are Google and other search engines. Others can be bots that make malicious orders.
In addition, there are some customers who will receive a product and then claim that they hadn’t. This is fraudulent behavior, but the business is responsible for proving that the order arrived.
What do Shopify Chargeback Prevention Apps do for your Shopify Store?
These apps are perfect for protecting your business against fraud and prevent you from incurring a chargeback on your store. This will allow you to protect profits of your business. And this is very important fraud within a business can be a killer, especially if cybercriminals continuously target your business. Therefore, this simple measure can literally save your business.
So, what are the top Shopify chargeback prevention apps that you can install on your website?
- NoFraud Fraud Protection
- Fraud Filter
- Signifyd ‑ Fraud Protection
- Synctrack ‑ Add Tracking Info
- FraudBlock Fraud Prevention
- Disputifier: Smart Chargebacks
- Bad Customer
- FraudLabs Pro Fraud Prevention
- Fraud Shield
- Beacon ‑ Fraud Inspector
- Smart Capture ‑ Prevent Fraud
- Fraud Crusher Fraud Prevention
- Fraud Killer
- Ordering Rules ‑ Fraud Blocker
NoFraud Fraud Protection
Part of protecting your site from chargebacks is identifying the fraudulent activity on your website. Therefore, you want to add fraud prevention apps to your site and this app is one such app. It offers you a real-time virtual verification of sales and gives you a decision whether each transaction passes or fails. There are thousands of data points and numerous fraud detection technologies employed in this app to help.
The system is completely automated, managed by in-house experts with years of experience in seeing fraud. And there is no need for any manual input from you. Therefore, you can sit back, relax and let the app and the development team take care of the business of protecting your store.
The app works by sending all transactions to the NoFraud team. Here it is screened by professionals who give each transaction the pass or fail grade. You are then given the choice of whether the order is passed or failed. You can also create a setting within the app where all those given a failed result are canceled.
The system will also protect your business from chargebacks, provided that you meet minimum requirements.
NoFraud Fraud Protection Highlights:
- Uses numerous data and human experience to detect fraudulent activity.
- Simple pass/fail grade given to each transaction for you to action.
- Can manually or automatically cancel orders that fail.
- Get reimbursed for chargebacks.
This fraud filter can help you protect yourself from chargebacks by adding layers of protection to your store. The app has simple rule-based functions that allow you to set up an easy early warning system for any suspicious orders and then can block any orders completely.
You can create the rules based on order details that you’ve suspected might be suspicious. You can then select whether those orders that have met these rules are manually reviewed by you or blocked automatically. The app works immediately after you’ve installed it on all orders that are made thereafter. When you set a new rule, it will check future orders against that rule. It doesn’t look at orders made previously.
When action is taken, there is a feature to see what caused the transaction to be highlighted. So, if you have a filter that says the consumer was changing a product’s quantity in the basket a lot, then you will be told that. It will not highlight the rest of the filters if they weren’t met.
Adding new rules to the filter is very ease to do. All you have to do is to click on a ‘more actions’ option in the app and you will be given the opportunity to create a new fraud rule. You can also use this area to edit or delete a rule at any time.
Fraud Filter Highlights:
- Create your own series of rules to identify potentially fraudulent activity.
- Rules can be created based on numerous aspects such as products, value of order, country of buyer, etc..
- Takes very little effort to create, edit or delete rules as you see fit.
- Protects your site from chargebacks for free.
Signifyd ‑ Fraud Protection
One of the more expensive options when it comes to saving your website from fraud and chargebacks, but it is really good for those who have a large eCommerce store that takes hundreds of orders per day. The app protects sellers from consumer abuse by providing financial guarantees if customers mark an ‘item not received’ claim against your company. It also offers an automated ‘Chargeback Recovery’ product.
The app will also check any order made on your website against the best industry data. With that it can help to detect fraudulent activities on your website and within orders. Highlighting these for you to take action, canceling orders if need be.
Signifyd ‑ Fraud Protection Highlights:
- A very expensive option that is suitable only for those with lots of daily orders.
- Identifies fraudulent activities based on some of the top eCommerce data available.
- Protects sellers from abuse from customers making fraudulent claims about products not being received.
- Automatically adds a chargeback recovery option.
Synctrack ‑ Add Tracking Info
Add tracking auto takes care of submitting tracking information from Shopify to payment provider (PayPal and Stripe). You can spend more time focusing on your business, driving sales & optimizing the conversion rate.
Once you have fulfilled orders paid by Shopify, SyncTrack – Add tracking auto will be noticed, and get the tracking information and send it to the payment provider automatically. Adding order tracking info is one of the requirements and it protects you from disputes like Unauthorized Transactions or Items Not Received. This information enables you to access funds more quickly, provide seller protection, and keep customers informed.
Adding tracking info to payment providers improves cash-flow and reduces chargebacks, disputes, and refunds from customers for these reasons:
- When a red flag is raised regarding your account, PayPal may apply a reserve on it. By adding tracking info, you can improve your account’s track record – and have the reserve level lowered (or even completely removed).
- When there’s a rocket in sales or disputes or chargebacks level, PayPal holds your payments for up to 21 days in order to protect the buyers. By adding tracking info, you can access your funds right after delivery with supported carriers.
- Seller Protection reduces claims and chargebacks and helps prevent fraud. By providing tracking information through a payment provider, customers can keep track of their transactions. Also, it is one of the requirements and protects you from disputes like “Unauthorized Transaction” or “Item Not Received”.
Synctrack ‑ Add Tracking Info Highlights:
- Unlimited PayPal accounts for all plans
- Reprocess all old orders for all plans
- Sync up to 1000 trackings in 1 minute
- Advanced customization for all users
- Easy to use interface
- Fast Setup only within 1 minute
FraudBlock Fraud Prevention
This app automatically cancels high-risk orders before they can affect your business and you incur a chargeback. The app will automatically send a cancellation confirmation to the customer and restock the inventory on your store. Therefore, you’re prevented from not just spending money, but also from having to spend time rectifying the fraudulent actions on your website.
The app works very simply. When you receive a new order, it is checked against Shopify’s fraud analysis. This is already pretty detailed and so is a good measure of whether an order should be passed or not. Then, if Shopify detects that it might be a high-risk order, the order is canceled by the software immediately.
The software will also process any refund of payment, update the stock on your website and send confirmation emails to both you and the customer. It is all done in a blink of the eye with no manual work done by you.
There are free and paid plans. The free plan is for shops that have fewer than 30 orders in a calendar month. However, there are other plans for those who sell in large volumes.
FraudBlock Fraud Prevention Highlights:
- Automatically scans orders for fraudulent behaviors.
- Cancels orders if they’re deemed too high-risk.
- Will send confirmation emails of cancellation to customer.
- Can restock your store for you, so manual action needs to be taken on your end.
Disputifier: Smart Chargebacks
Disputifier is a great app that allows you to prevent and fight chargebacks through AI. Whenever there is a chargeback, the system analyzes is that responds with 120 data points. This can include fraud analysis, fulfilment status and more.
Everything is taken care for you.
Disputifier: Smart Chargebacks Highlights:
- Uses 120 data points to check chargeback requirements.
- Automatic, you don’t need to do a thing.
- Reduces chargebacks.
- Protects you from fraud.
This app allows you to check for bad customers before you start to ship. Therefore, you are protected from chargebacks and don’t have to worry about contesting them. This isn’t like other fraud apps. Instead, it looks at the chargeback history of the customers compared to other sites.
If there are reports that are there, you are notified and you can make the decision as to whether you would like to send the order to them.
Bad Customer Highlights:
- Checks history of the customer.
- Gives you report to their history.
- You make final decision.
- Protects you from potential loss.
FraudLabs Pro Fraud Prevention
This app helps to protect your store from payment fraud on orders. It reduces the chance of a chargebacks and improves your store’s profits. It has a comprehensive and advanced algorithm engine that can validate all elements such as geolocation, proxy, email, blacklists, credit card, transaction velocity and more to check whether a transaction is fraudulent or not.
The app works behind the scenes, without interruption of the payment process. It can also offer you a detailed report of all orders for reference. The app also allows you to customize your own validation rules to target specific fraudulent activities that you know. Or you can combine the rules used by FraudLabs Pro with your own to build a comprehensive protection system for your website.
The app developers offer several payment tiers for the system. The free version is for those that have fewer than 500 transactions a month. If you’re completing more than this in transactions, then you can look at the five payment tiers for additional support in protecting your website from chargebacks and fraud.
The app is easy to install, setup and use. All you really need to go is to have the app installed, enter in the API and then configure the settings you want.
FraudLabs Pro Fraud Prevention Highlights:
- Uses lots of signals to detect whether a transaction could be considered fraudulent or not.
- Protects from chargebacks, keeping your business’ profits safe.
- Has six pricing levels, including one free for those who have fewer than 500 orders per month.
- Does not interrupt the payment process, customers won’t notice a difference.
This app offers faster payments and complete fraud protection in one neat package. It uses a vast network and years of fraud detection to identify transactions that could be considered fraudulent.
The API uses real-time analytics to detect and stop the fraud. And there is a simple interface that helps protect you from criminal behaviors. Therefore, you’re protected from the attacks before you can experience chargebacks.
Fraud Shield Highlights:
- Simple, east to use app that protects your site from fraud.
- API offers real-time analysis of current fraud potential.
- Protects from chargebacks.
- Years of experience, billions of transactions have gone into developing this app.
Beacon ‑ Fraud Inspector
Beacon took years to develop and the end result is an app that is great for protecting your store from fraudulent orders, bad actors and more. Therefore, you can be sure that you’re not spending money on fulfilling orders that are not made in good faith and that you don’t incur chargeback costs.
The app works in real-time and in combination with the Fraud Filter App. You can set different fraud-related parameters that are meaningful to your store and you can automate the verification system using special SMS and email systems.
You can also make use of a blacklist system that will automatically block orders from certain IP addresses and more. All known fraudulent activity will be canceled automatically.
The app will add a special page template to your site. This is known as pages.verify.liquid.
Beacon ‑ Fraud Inspector Highlights:
- Uses several factors to determine and block fraudulent activities.
- Works in real-time.
- You can set your own configuration.
- Protects from chargebacks.
Smart Capture ‑ Prevent Fraud - Inactive
Smart Capture is a good app for making payments quicker and protecting you from fraud. You can get orders that are legitimate fulfilled quicker and reduce the chances of chargeback from fraudulent activities. And you can fine-tune the risk parameters for your store to something that you’re more comfortable with.
The app works automatically to hold and notify you of any order that is above a certain value threshold. It can automatically capture payment for orders marked as low risk, hold and notify orders marked as medium risk and cancels orders that are marked as high risk.
Once the app has been installed on your store, all you have to do is to set the rules for the app. The app will then work tirelessly for you. The protect is the greatest here because any potential fraud results in the payment not being taken. Therefore, you can’t suffer from a chargeback unless you investigate further and deem the transaction to be okay.
Smart Capture ‑ Prevent Fraud Highlights:
- Works automatically in the background of your store with settings you’ve made.
- Will prevent an order from having a payment if there is a high chance of fraud.
- Consults you before taking payment from a medium risk order.
- Captures automatically any low risk order.
Fraud Crusher Fraud Prevention - Inactive
The worst case scenario for you is that you have an order that is flagged by Shopify as potentially fraudulent and you miss it. You could have been tired, too busy or not paying attention one day. And that is the time that the transaction is bad. You get a chargeback, a refund for the customer and a large fee on top of that.
This app prevents this from happening to automatically cancel and refund orders that are potentially fraudulent. The app allows you to set the sensitivity level for your store. Therefore, you can be as relaxed or as strict as you’d like.
The app is great for those who are dropshipping or using a lot of automation within the fulfillment process. This is because actions can happen before any other part of the fulfillment takes place. So, you’re protected from the cost. The app will apply any refund and restock the inventory from the order automatically, making it a great time saver for your organization.
The app is really easy to use. Those with no technical knowledge will not struggle at all.
Fraud Crusher Fraud Prevention Highlights:
- Automates the process of protecting your store from fraudulent behaviors on your website.
- Really easy to use, no need to enter in complex data or enter in rules.
- Uses Shopify fraud detection software and you can set the sensitivity.
- Issues refunds and restocks your store.
Fraud Killer - Inactive
When it comes to protecting your site, you need to think about fraudulent orders. This app helps you by stopping you from fulfilling fraudulent orders automatically. The app will cancel ‘high-risk’ orders and send a cancellation confirmation to you and the customer automatically. The app will also restock the inventory and refund/void the customer’s payment.
Therefore, you can be safe to continue on your business without having to check all the orders manually for potential for fraud. It is important to remember that Shopify doesn’t offer this service. All they do is to check the order against their markers and tell you which ones are potentially fraudulent. If an order is potential fraudulent, then it is up to you to investigate and take action.
By using this app, you remove that manual investigation and protect your store better. The operation happens whenever an order is made.
Fraud Killer Highlights:
- Automatically protects your store from fraud.
- Cancels orders deemed too risky.
- Restocks your inventory.
- Sends confirmation emails to you and your customers.
Ordering Rules ‑ Fraud Blocker - Inactive
This app adds an additional layer of protection to protect your brand from fraud and avoid chargebacks. You set rules for orders on your site and then you can be given warnings when these rules are met. Or you can set the app to automatically block orders if these rules are met.
Rules can be set on numerous different criteria or action. For instance, on the product, product variant, vendor, product weight, product price or more. You can also set rules based on the price, discount codes, payment method and more. Therefore, you can really secure your site against most types of fraud.
The app is easy to use and operate.
Ordering Rules ‑ Fraud Blocker
- Set rules based on what is in the order, how the order is paid for, customer details and more.
- Easy to establish rules.
- Can automatically block orders or provide you with details to provide new information.
- All new orders are scanned to help protect you from fraud and chargebacks.
Final Word: Top 12 Shopify Chargeback Prevention Apps
When it comes to fraudulent activity on your website, you have a lot of tools you can use to protect you. However, you definitely want to be installing one the top Shopify chargeback prevention apps above to ensure that you’re not paying for fraud. So, which of the apps will you apply?